02.13.2014 / Great Green

Guys, Frankie the Fliphouse is starting to look downright sexy as he gets cleaned up.  It’s kind of exciting!  I can’t WAIT to show you the final reveal…. next week (sorry).

One thing that really makes the kitchen, though, is the dresser-turned-island.  It may have elicited a happy dance from me.  I hope whoever buys the house falls in love with this piece too, otherwise, I’m taking it with me!

I found this dresser at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore for $62.50 (50%off!) and immediately knew this was the piece I had been looking for.  It was the right height and scale, AND as a bonus, it was already on wheels!

restore dresser before

restore dresser back before

I found these date stamps on the bottom of one of the drawers.

restore dresser date

Luckily the dresser was in stellar shape for being 98 years old!  There were only 3 prep steps that I needed to do before painting.  First, I used a heat gun and scraper to rid the back of the cracked veneer.

restore dresser veneer

After the old veneer was gone, (prep step 2) I patched the blemishes and sanded.  The last prep step was removing the top.  Luckily it wasn’t glued down, so I was able to remove a few screws I could reach and brute force the top off in no time.  Strong like bull.

restore dresser topless

The fun part was painting, putting on new hardware and attaching the butcher block top.

Drum roll please!!!  No? ok, well, here’s what she’s looking like today:

restore dresser island after 1

Hubba hubba, amIright?

I actually ended up using the darker/brighter color that I polled you guys about.  Once I changed the offensively colored CFLs in the house for more true-color bulbs it was the exact color I was hoping for.

restore dresser island closeup

I added a towel bar for added functionality.  Plus it gives me the ability to style it with a cute little hand towel (which, since I’m styling a house for sale, not to use….. this cute little towel, may actually be a pillow case.  sshhhhh, don’t tell).

restore dresser island after 2

I’ll break it down for you:

• Dresser: $62.50
  • Butcher block from IKEA: $129
  • 2 paint “samples” matched to Benjamin Moore Medici Malachite: $6
  • Paint finishing wax (optional): $10
  • Knobs: $0!  (I raided my own knob collection)
  • Towel bar: $5
  • TOTAL: $212.50 (not including tax)

If I had used cabinets for an island, the price would have EASILY been double, most likely triple.  For a piece that takes the kitchen from nice to WOW, it’s totally worth it!

12 comments on “Great Green

1. Christina says:

Great job! I’m going to copy you if we ever have a kitchen big enough for an island. I love that butcher block on top.

2. Karen says:

Thanks! I’ve been itching for a space to try this for a while, but my own kitchen isn’t big enough.

3. Kevin says:

I’m hoping to tackle a project similar to this but don’t have any experience. Can you quickly describe your sanding process? By hand or machine? Do you just give everything a solid once-over to prep it for paint? Love this piece!

• Karen says:

I generally use a sanding block since it’s easier to grip, and a single sheet to get into the tight spaces. I didn’t use my palm sander only because I didn’t have it with me at the time but it could have worked as well. I’ll also often wipe everything down with a liquid sander/deglosser as well to make sure that I get the best adhesion.
      Hope that helps!!

4. Libby says:

I totally love this. Tell me about the IKEA block. Is it one of the counter tops cut down? The only butcher block that isn’t a counter top I could find is kind of small, so I’m guessing you used part of a counter? Also, which one? They have several that look like that (kind of), but different kinds of wood. Which is best for chopping? Again, totally love this. Brilliant.

• Karen says:

Thank you! The butcher block is the Numerar countertop in birch. It was already the depth that I needed and I cut the length down to the correct size. Although IKEA has several counters that look like this, only the ones that are solid wood all the way through will work.

• Libby says:

Awesome. Thank you! So I could chop with knives and it would be alright? I guess I assume full countertops aren’t meant to be cut directly on, so my brain stopped for a minute. Seriously love this. We just bought a new house and my dream is to have a little island in the kitchen (and extra storage? bonus.). So I’m going to repurposed a little credenza (well, this thing has different names, depending on where I put it in the house) I found for $15 about 10 years ago. Totally love this idea. Probably won’t sleep tonight. Thanks. (Hahaha) Thanks for the reply!!

5. This is unbelievable! I’m looking for inspiration for a piece I want to do up and came across your project here. This has left me inspired and already planning more projects in my head :)

6. Andrea says:

This looks amazing! Great job.
    I have a dresser that I want to paint. Did you have to do anything special to the finish before you painted it?
    Many Thanks,
    Andrea

• Karen says:

I didn’t do much prep aside from minor sanding on this one since there was no sheen to the previous paint. Normally I’d recommend sanding and/or using a sander-deglosser. If it’s a pieced that will get high traffic or lots of use, primer’s never a bad idea